Tuesday, January 29, 2013

2nd Poetry Assignment: Esther Ra


One Sunday Night


One Sunday night I came down from my dormitory
To see my mother. She sat patiently,
In the cold, her cracked white hands
Clasped tight around the icy door of the car.
Two hours she had traveled to see me, two hours
For a briefly snatched word, the transient warmth
Of a quick embrace, and a ghostly kiss
Imprinted with lips chilled by winter night.
I gave her a hot bean paste bun, to warm her hands,
But she laid it aside and caressed my cold face,
Saying, I missed you, I missed you, I missed you.
How will you ever send me to university?
When will I ever stop loving you?
Peace drops slowly on my shoulders like anointing oil
And love blooms warmly across my cheeks,
Melting away my fear, my sorrow, my hunger
At her unconditional affection. And I know
Mother dear, those two minutes
For which you traveled two hours
Will remain priceless to us, glint like sparkling
Fragmented jewels in our memory
When once more we are forced
To tear ourselves apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment