Tuesday, January 22, 2013

2nd PE assignment Hyuck Choi

Before I start writing, I should start out by saying I am very sorry for putting my essay up late. I wanted to show a quote that I was really inspired by, put at the end of an hour of box ripping, all I was left with were fantasy books that I read when I was in Paris. So I decided to find a quote that I remember reading this year.
The quote that I would like to present to everybody is from the book "The House of the Scorpion" by Nancy Farmer. '~A horse runs very well on four legs. It's what he's made for. But suppose he grew a fifth leg that only wanted to please itself. The other four legs would running and running, but the fifth leg- which we'll call individualism-would want to walk slowly to enjoy a beautiful meadow, or it might want to take a nap. Then the poor animal would fall over! That's why we take that unhappy horse to a vet and have the fifth leg cut off. It may seem harsh, but we've all got to pull together in the new Aztlan, or we'll all wind up lying in the dirt. Does anyone have a question?'
Although this was just kind of more like a filler up for extra pages, The second I saw these set of words, I closed the book and started to think 'What would happen if there were example such as a five-legged horse that has a useless body part?' That day, after pondering that thought for a few seconds, I fell asleep. :P However, when I saw our PE assignment topic, this was the second idea that popped in my head.
I perceived this quote as a criticism to our current world. We do not tolerate those who get in our general goal whether it has massive potential or not. Of course, it is human physocology to get irritated and furious at the more 'less adapted' people. However, this does not mean we are allowed to do what our instincts tell us to do. We must all have in mind that everybody has a weak point and there exists others who are well-developed in that particular area. In my case, I get agitated when I see my sister doing math, counting her fingers to add or subtract. I calmed myself and tried to teach her some human skills but it seemed like she just didn't understand numbers. That moment, I wondered what would become of her in the future. Regarding the status quo, today most schools inspect and grade our mathematic skill more than ever. Does that mean my sister should be abandoned from society for being unable to do some mental math?
I see this 'fifth-leg' as a 'different thing', but not in the way explained above. I see it as a part with a different, special goal. If four are for running, the other might be a more evolved leg waiting for its 'comrades' to become advanced. Until then, he might be the inferior one. However, after some considerate time, it will be clear that cutting/eliminating this extra part will have been very regretful.

2 comments:

  1. I thought the interpretation of the quote was really creative! When all the other four legs think the fifth leg is inferior, he was actually the better(?), more advanced leg... I would never have thought of it that way. =D I also like your free and honest writing style. I wish I could be less reserved like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha Hyuck...
    " I get agitated when I see my sister doing math, counting her fingers to add or subtract ... Does that mean my sister should be abandoned from society for being unable to do some mental math?"
    I felt really 찔려d when I read thisㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ if you saw me doing math you'd probably have convulsions, because I, too, often count on my fingers while doing math - yuck. I should totally be segregated from society ;)

    I loved your essay. It was much, much more relaxed than your first and your real personality showed through much more. I could see what a thoughtful, sweet-tempered and humorous person you were throughout, and that was a lovely touch you added about the fifth leg. It would have been really interesting if you could have expanded it a bit more, though, and touched somewhat on your own experiences!! It's such a great essay, but it leaves me feeling like I just had a tiny nibble of a delicious cake that I want more of!

    Great job, anyway, and congrats on doing your homework ;)

    ReplyDelete