Saturday, January 19, 2013

1st PE assignments: Baek Jonghyup


Dear my future roommate

As you might have already noticed, you’re not my roommate. My only and forever roommate is my Gibson. He (or she?) has been with me for 3 years and I intend to keep it that way. So I recommend that you forfeit your bed to him, or there will be consequences. ANYWAY, I’ll first say just for manners that ‘I’m glad you’re my first roommate for this school,’ and I wish to introduce myself through this letter to help you prepare being my roommate.

My numerous experiences of living in a dormitory with fellow roommates has been a true chance of both understanding others, but it especially helped me to realize what kind of person I am. My first roommate acknowledged me that I abhor those who are inflexible. I prefer people who understand quickly and are tolerant to any situation. Also, I favor silence than needless babbles of meaningless contents. Unless the information that I am being told is important, it feels as if I am Beethoven, except what I hear are the screeches of inferno instead of whispers from God. Finally, I firmly believe hygiene is the way roommates show their manners. Although I am not a very neat person, I at least clean it once a week and make it appear clean. I am not one of these people who see art in messiness; I do not see piles of book as skyscrapers like my ‘friend,’ but as portals to chaos.

I would also like to inform you how I live. As you might have guessed because of my ‘true’ roommate, I love music. Music is one of the few and favorite refuges of my life; it gives me peace and happiness as how drugs would do. I especially love rock n roll unlike my great scholarly appearance and have deep respect to it. It would be great to now that you are also seduced by music’s great magnetism. If you are unfamiliar with music but wish to enter this great and noble society, I would gladly lead your way to its great wonders. After all, music is the language of the soul; I would love to have a companion for my great voyage. Another important fact you should know about me is that I'm not a very talkative guy. As I had mentioned, I prefer silence and using body languages over opening my mouth. So please don't think I'm an asshole if I answered by just nodding or any other response lacking words, because to some people, I don't even listen to them. I  thought of changing my attitude toward people, but I accepted it as my nature. Plus, I'm an open minded guy. So unless you really get on my nerves, I'll love you like my brother. 

To be honest, I'm quite afraid of having to adapt again to a new and unfamiliar condition. I'm not a really social person, I keep my thoughts and actions to myself and never express them to others. It's really important for me to have a friend that I can truly trust and talk about my chaotic and corrupted mental world. So I really wish and believe that you're a really great guy (or girl?) that I would enjoy spending my first semester in this new crazy jungle.

4 comments:

  1. I'm really sorry i'm late. I thought I posted my essay last week, but I posted it somewhere elsewhere I also have to write essays. Sorry for the delay :(
    -John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's fine! ㅋㅋㅋ glad you posted your essay at last~ it was definitely worth the wait :D

      Delete
  2. I think the first paragraph was really humorous and funny (googles Gibson). You are talking about the guitar, right? :P And I also thought that perhaps "abhor" might be too, erm, cruel an expression to inflexible people... Your roommate just might be inflexible, after all. But perhaps that really is what you honestly feel, so expressing your thoughts clearly from the beginning would be a good way to get through a semester with your roomie. I also am "seduced" by music's magnetism very much, and I thought the way you described it was very interesting. Overall a great essay! :3 --Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what's really funny?
    I CAN LITERALLY HEAR YOUR VOICE RIGHT THROUGH YOUR ESSAY.
    kkkkk You write just like the way you speak english and that is one cool ability!!
    That essay of yours really portrays you as a humorous and a unique guy.
    and even kind of cool!
    Your roomie is a lucky guy! :D

    ReplyDelete