Friday, January 25, 2013

2nd PE assignment Robin Bhoo

“No one is ever satisfied where he is.”
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince


“Am I satisfied where I am?” I asked myself.

“Well, let’s see.. I’m 16, and a perfect student. I’m tall, smart, handsome, sociable, athletic, humorous, and by all means, charming. I’m the best at sports in my school, I’ve never missed a single 1st place in English exams, and I’ve even been accepted to HAFS- the most prestigious high school in Korea: All my life has been full of success, and its just too obvious that I’m good. Really, can anybody be better than me?’’

 I lived in a world where I was a king,  where I knew everything and had everything. I lived a life full of ”bests”: Best backgrounds, best parents, best education... I was satisfied with where I was. I was at the highest, at the best...When I was 16.

 High school- a new world- came after a while, and there I was, lost in the deep sea of uncertainty. I could not see, for the darkness of the abyss obscured my vision. I could not reach, for the ocean’s pressure was something unprecedented from the past years of aquarium life. Lectures were beyond comprehension, and fellow students were beyond experience: Life was beyond my certainty. Was I still the best? Could I still succeed? Questions raveled up my mind. Confidence and self-esteem was gone. Doubt and cowardice reigned. If there was anything certain in this world, it was me sinking.

“Am i satisfied where I am?” I asked myself.

“I wish I were back in middle school. I used to be the best student, best athlete, and the best person. Life was easy and satisfying until I came here. Seriously, I suck right now. I want to escape from the darkness drawn upon. I need the glory of the past. I just can’t accept the fact that failure exists.”

But then, another thought struck my mind: Would I still be satisfied if I go back? Am I to be content with such vainglory, of being the best in a mere aquarium? The world I live as an adult is definitely going to be bigger than the ocean I’m in now. Am I to imprison myself in history and pretend like I’m still okay? I was undoubtedly sinking down. Now, the only thing left for me was to swim up again.

Years passed since I started searching for the sunlight above. I became the captain of our school’s basketball team. I participated as a member of the Korean national flag football team. I received straight A’s throughout my high school life. And now, I’m writing an application for the renowned Princeton University.

“Am I satisfied where I am?”

I know where I am, and if I was 16, I would probably have said that I’m the best and be satisfied with it- Just look at what I achieved! Team captain, national representative, straight A’s- but looking back at the past, I realized that something crucial was missing in my evaluations as a 16 year old: I was ignorant of my failures. Of course, admitting failures isn’t something fun. But the satisfaction isn’t worth it when failures I made are ignored.  I am not satisfied where I am, for I recognize myself. I’m not the “best” I thought I used to be. I make mistakes, and I makes failures. And I also know that these mistakes and failures will take me higher, make me better,  away from satisfaction.

2 comments:

  1. I'm reallllyyyyy sorry for posting my essay this late. I wrote this essay again and again for 4 or 5 times but all of them were just garbage..To be frank, I don't really like this piece either (It doesn't stick together in a single theme in my opinion). I just couldn't write the things I wanted to talk about all together, and this ones kinda messy but it took too much time to write again so i'm just posting it..I welcome any criticisms I feel like this writing needs some. Again, sorry for being late

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fine, Robin! I do get the feeling that this essay wasn't one of your more relaxed ones, but I thought it was really good. I enjoyed the self-satire, the honesty and the way you put a little twist on how "failing" became your path to self-discovery :)
    however, I'm just a leeetle worried that the uni application officers might mistake your tone as being arrogant when you meant to be ironic....?? I'm not quite sure about this one so I'd better see what the others think :)
    as always your flow of language is excellent and I like the strong personality that shows through your writing - good work!!

    ReplyDelete