Friday, January 4, 2013

1st PE Assignment: Esther Ra


Topic: Write a letter to your future college roommate.

Dear Roommate,
I believe that personal relationships can deeply enrich our lives, and I look forward to enjoying a wonderful relationship with you! I’ll tell you a little about myself. Some keep a careful distance with those they love for fear of getting hurt, but I believe it is better to have a heart broken than have no heart at all. I dearly love helping people, and if once I love someone, I will love that person come flood or fire – to the very bitter end. On the days before my English exams, I would spend the whole day – hours and hours – teaching other kids and helping them, and begin my own studying at 4.a.m. on the morning of the test day. Yet I will never push my feelings onto others, for fear of being a burden. Don’t get hurt if I don’t text or call or speak to you first; I will always be overjoyed to have you text or call or speak to me.
I adore honesty.
I detest prevarication and two-facedness more than almost anything else, for an appearance of kindness invites undeserved trust. I would far rather have an outright enemy than a friend who secretly dislikes me and talks behind my back. If any of my habits annoy you, please, don’t hesitate to tell me. “Could you turn off your light?”—yes, of course I can! I will never get angry at you for telling me honestly about my faults, either. I am flexible, willing to amend what gives offense to others, and supple underneath the rod of discipline. I will forgive anything you say to me, as long as you say it with good intentions. I might feel hurt sometimes, sad perhaps, but never angry – never resentful.
However, I remain an independent person. Though I am willing to remain cheerful and accepting under honest comments to me, I will never be forced to act for what I think is unjust or wrong. I have a strong sense of duty and always strive to fulfill it. I can lay aside my convenience—but not my sense of right and wrong, just to please another.
I sleep and rise early, because I believe a quiet morning is one of the best times of the day. I love reading and dislike gossip. I love the fragrance of coffee but I don’t drink it. I prefer classical music to rock and Jane Austen to James Joyce. And I love to write.
Now you have a basic idea of what kind of person I am.
So, what kind of person are you? Do you like chocolate chip ice cream, or vanilla? Are you a speaker or a listener? Do you prefer the light on when you sleep, or off? Do you sing in the shower? Do you like the windows open?
There are a thousand questions I have to ask you, but the future awaits us when I can ask them all, face to face. I can’t wait to find out about your personality, your likes and dislikes, your pet peeves and idiosyncrasies. And you.
Esther Haelan Ra

5 comments:

  1. Wow, looks like I can never follow the skills of our master writer!!! :) I have to say, you certainly have that poetic feeling even in your essay. What I am considered about is maybe you flooded the essay with it. It might be just me, but if I didn't know our topic and what we were doing, than I might have thought that this was a a half-poem, half-essay. And just one more thing that kind of pinched my senses, is that about once or twice, there was an abrupt chage of topic. But apart from those two, I suggest that you pretend to be Ernest Hemingway,or other famous writers, publishing books with their names and nobody will notice (maybe apart from the fact that most of those writers might be dead :P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you, Hyuck! You're always so sweet :) the Ernest Hemmingway joke just made my day :P
      Reading over my essay, I agree with you that sometimes I switched too abruptly from one subject to another. Mr. Moberg would probably check off points for "poor transition phrasing" ;) thanks for pointing that out! I'll work on that as well.
      As for poetic-ish-ness, I know what you're talking about, and I kind of agree that I should try to make myself clearer in an essay...on the other hand, though, one of the best things about a college application/personal essay is that we really don't have a perfectly given form. We can write a play, a poem, or even a song (though that's a pretty hazardous attempt) if we want to - just as long as we express the real inner beings inside us. :D That's the whole beauty of it - the freedom from all those stuffy academical essay "forms", isn't it?
      Thanks so much for the helpful comments and, once more, for being an ever-reliably homework-finishing potato ;)

      Delete
    2. yeah some good points were made my Hyuck!
      Esther your essay is soooo beautifully written that I start to focus more on the details, not the real main point.
      so I think, in these kinds of Personal and College-related it would be better if you focused more on telling us WHO YOU ARE :DDD
      otherwise, AWESOME ESSAY :)

      Delete
    3. awww thanks!! :) you're right, people often tell me that they can't find the "tree beneath the flowery petals". ;P I'd better work on making my main point clearer... thanks for the peer editing! I just love your comments, they're so...YOU >.<

      Delete