Saturday, January 12, 2013

1st PE Assignment: Robin Bhoo

 Dear my future roommate.

 From my experiences with various roommates, I realized how people influence one another when they live together. Having seen numerous cases where difference of characteristics and communication between roommates determine whether the dormitory will be a warm home of salvation or a miserable battlefield, I thought it crucial to introduce myself, the way I live, and communicate with you.

 I, for one, rather despise banality. I do not accept any kind of lifeless, stationary conditions infiltrating my life. What is there left for us when the constantly-moving, dynamic energy of nature is taken away from our lives? There lies only a soulless repetition of mundane days.
It is my belief that where I live should not be dominated by silence, restricted by rules, or composed of artificial neatness. I want my residence to be full of energy, full of new and surprising, innovative and arbitrary events that will make life more rich and joyful. Therefore, I do not clean or organize my room. Instead, I try to see the beauty within my messy room.Its liveliness and spontaneity are only too obvious- clothes of magnificent color swarming on the floor, with skyscrapers made of books, chips and sodas barricading the room...- and it is my dearest hope that you too acknowledge the aesthetic features of the messy room that we will probably use together.

 Aside from our room’s fate, I must also talk about my personal interests as well. Athletics has been a really big thing for me through out my whole life. In fact, my family as a whole is deeply involved with sports. Both my parents were good enough to become professional athletes in their own respective fields (my dad played handball and my mom table tennis), and I myself once dreamed of becoming a star athlete, playing ball in the world-famous MSG. Even still, my passion for playing sports is as intense as then, so feel free to ask me to accompany you when you feel a sudden urge to run out to the court and shoot some baskets, or any other sports really. I believe that through the masculine and tough nature athletic activities men can communicate, sympathize and respect one another more fully and successfully, beyond the realm of common logic and politeness, and the same thing applies for you: I hope to develop a true friendship- a “guys” friendship- with my roommate.

 Even though I do not know you at the moment, I wish to communicate with you as much as possible and get to know what kind of a person you are. I am certain that by understanding and respecting each other through communication we can enjoy a terrific college life. Like I wrote in the beginning, I have seen a lot of roommates becoming mutual enemies and also a number of them becoming best friends depending on how much they are able to accept the difference of characteristics. I attempt to make our relationship more like the latter one; a relationship with comprehension and concession. So until we meet, I wish you the best luck!

3 comments:

  1. I laughed really hard reading your essay, especially the part where you described the spectacular mess of your room so...vividly. ;P Who knew what spectacular descriptions could be painted from the horrifying sight of a messy room?

    From a girl who doesn't like either sports or messy rooms, though, I must admit I'm VERY glad I'll never be your roommate! :P

    I really like your creative writing style, Robin. I always thought it was a pity that academic writing couldn't really show your native humor because it usually sounded kind of stiff and, well, academical, but now your natural humor has free flow and it's easy to see what a funny person you really are, and with what a strong personality. :D

    awkward phrasing:
    even still -> even now

    trying to think of something to improve in this essay, but I enjoyed reading it so much I don't really have the heart to try to criticize it right now... :P Umm maybe you should also show a bit of your kind accommodating nature too? Because this essay sounded just a teensy bit aggressive, as if saying, "Yo, bro, this is the kind of guy I am, ACCEPT IT OR NOT!" Maybe it might have been better if you showed a bit of your own willingness to accept his personality, too... :)

    Anyway, that was a FANTASTIC first essay and I truly loved reading through every bit of it. ;) Thanks for doing your homework on time and I look forward to reading more of your creative writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. our writing is impressive. o_O So good I was convinced that there was a "beauty" in the messiness of a room. It also sounds reliable and sensible, which is something every roommate should require. I would want to be your roommate, but I liked Potato's essay so much (his nickname is quirky) I guess I'll just have to live next door. :) Your vocabulary is great too... There were a few words I didn't know (dictionary to the rescue!). I just CAN'T believe you're a Korean... The world is unfair! :P Please put up more essays! I want to read your writing more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Bhoo
    well, your essay was very humorous, especially when you mention the aesthetics of a messy room
    hmm it would have been much cooler if the college administration place allowed students to use swear words in their essays cuz Bhoo, YOU without swear words.. it's just wierd man, wierd!!
    There just got to be that strong, assertive F word..
    but well, too bad.
    no swear words in a formal essay. :P
    I like your essay and I feel like I should go and revise mine!!!!
    My essay feels so... feeble...next to yours and Esthers and Potato's.kkkkk
    anyway great job!

    ReplyDelete