Saturday, January 12, 2013

1st PE Assignment: Subin Kwon


Dear my future roommate

First, I’d like to say “Nice to meet you, and let’s make a great semester together!!”
I may already know you very well or not that much, but, it doesn’t matter. From now on I will try to know you better and be your adorable roommate. As we know that relationship between roommates is not good when they are unconditionally close or too much in formality, I believe that we need mutual respect and careful concern about each other. Since you must be a really good friend, I think you can understand some of my (kinds of) peculiarities and willingly accept them.
As you know very well, I have never been a quiet girl in school who seem to never enjoy pleasure of silence. But actually I am not a person who is always energetic and excited so at least in my room, sometimes I want to be in silence and enjoy easeful atmosphere. So don’t feel any sense of unease if I keep silence and do not talk at all. It does not mean that I feel uncomfortable with you, rather it means that I want to enjoy this peaceful moment.
To give one more pragmatic information, I really love the cold. It can be sound awkward, but it is true. I really like the cold!! When I was 4 years old, my dream is to become a snowman.  In that time I wanted to be buried under snow all day. So do I who am now. Sometimes I open all of the windows even in winters and wear short sleeves, but don’t freak out. You can just tell me that it is too cold to open the windows.
Judging from my experience with Yejin, my past roommate for one year, roommates can easily know about each other’s secrets – sometimes even more than best friends can. Therefore, Yejin and I talked about our secrets with each other and kept them so we could rely on each other. I hope you can keep my secrets as Yejin did, so we can be the most close and comfortable roommates.
To shorten this whole rambling writing, please do not think I am weird if sometimes I shut up in my dormitory room who looks like completely opposite in school life and wander the dormitory hallway wearing short sleeves and open the window even in the winter. And if you have a room for understand this strange roommate, please listen my stories and share your thoughts and secrets with me! I am expecting exciting and joyful time with you in our lovely room!
See you


2 comments:

  1. I love your essays, Subin, because they have such unique ideas that reflect different sides of you, like a multifaceted mirror. :) My favorite part in this essay was when you said your dream was to become a snowman!! That was really interesting, because I'll bet it was a dream only you could have ;) I personally also really like the voice that shines through your writing, because it always shows what a kind, optimistic person you are - you always manage to convey a little piece of your personality... :) Through this essay, I could know that you were caring and open, and very honest - several things I'd love to have in my roommate.

    a few awkward phrases:
    * As we know that relationship between roommates is not good when they are unconditionally close or too much in formality -> As we know that relationships between roommates are not successful when they are unconditionally close or too formal~~

    * As you know very well, I have never been a quiet girl in school who seem to never enjoy pleasure of silence.
    -> As you know, I have always been an enthusiastic, lively girl at school who never seemed to enjoy the pleasure of silence.

    * enjoy easeful atmosphere -> enjoy an easeful atmosphere

    * It can be sound awkward -> It can sound awkward

    * When I was 4 years old, my dream is -> my dream was

    * I am expecting exciting and joyful time -> an exciting, joyful time

    Overall, nice essay, and again, I do like the honest, unassuming tone of the whole piece. :) It makes me want to be your roommate! Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU WANTED TO BE A SNOWMAN WHEN YOU WHERE 4?? >< THAT'S JUST TOOOOOO ADORABLE!!!!!!!
    I could just feel your honesty and kindness in the tone of your writing. You even sounded really cute :)
    Honestly, if I was a average person who wanted a good roommate, I would have been delighted to read your essay.
    But the problem is that the colleges don't really want an average person!
    I'm not saying that your abilities are average, but the person I see in the essay seems to have a very undramatic(?), monotonous personality
    But I know that YOU ARE A CRAZY GIRL
    so I think it would have been a bit of a improvement if you POURED OUT your craziness into the essay
    besides that, I love it!!ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
    great job!

    ReplyDelete