Friday, January 4, 2013

1st PE assignment: Choi Hyuck

Dear my future roomy,
If you don’t know me very well, you might be wondering how you will survive a semester with a guy who was supposedly nicknamed “potato”. I assure you that it will be just one worry in the back of your thinking oven after one week. However, even though I classify social relationships as a priority in my ‘to-do list’, you must take in mind some simple rules that will be easy to follow if you have a mind of a human.
           If you do not want to have a horrible relationship with me, then you should certainly not touch or borrow any of my stuff unless you are given permission. Of course, this eliminates cases for things that are used by both of us. Even with my family, I am very sensitive with sharing my room, bathroom products, and other products. To tell the truth, I do not have any specific reasons for this but if I have to explain, I think I might get somebody else’s “coodies”.
           One other aspect that I do not tolerate is lightly-made promises, especially those related with money. Since I was a toddler, I had a big sense of responsibility inherited to me being the first son from the first daughter and son in both my father’s and my mother’s family. This might be the reason why I used to finish homework or any projects before I had any free time. However, this might have started to change a little after the birth of my little sister who has no responsibility at all. Still, I always try to arrive at meetings or other rendezvous a few minutes earlier than others.
           I started to learn the importance of saving money when I was still in 3rd grade after I received a note where I can record all my expenditures. This experience let me personally feel the power of money and showed why I should be careful when tied in money problems. The good news is I will pay back any debts I own to you. The bad part is that I will hunt you down until I receive any money that should be paid back.
           I hope you don’t freak out after reading this letter that you got a strict roommate. Apart from these two, I’m fine with most of the other obstacles as long as they don’t get too extreme. And don’t worry, my standards of extreme is pretty high so you can probably do whatever you want without me giving scowling one word. If you want to tell me about what you are sensitive about in our dormitory life, I hope you give me a heads-up before half the semester has past.
                                                                          Sincerely, your future roommate

9 comments:

  1. Wow, Hyuck... :P I really enjoyed reading your essay because it showed so many sides of our good-natured potato that I had never known before. That's the main priority of a college application essay - the ability, in 500 words or less, to show what kind of person you really are - and I'm glad you grasped it so well. You have a good grasp of language and you're able to show a lot in a few words. (minimalist? *gasp*)
    Not sure if I'd want to be your roommate though if I were a boy... ;P I think you'd be pretty scary if you 정색해..not that I'd break any of your rules up here :D
    The only thing I could find that maybe you could improve is, to not only show your stern side but also the side that everyone loves about you - your kindness, your truthfulness, your good temper and your ability to understand and help others :) Since /we/ know how nice you are, we can find these...er...stricter aspects of you both fun and fascinating, and they reveal a lot about you, but for a college administrator who reads this he might think, "Whoa, this is one scary guy." :P
    Umm let's see...
    "giving scowling one word" <-- the phrasing sounded a little awkward here but I think that was probably a typo?
    Other than that, I truly loved your essay! And congrats and thank you for being one of the first to do your homework ;)

    --Esther

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx for the comments publish esther :P and wow, I never really thought that this one was even a good essay but thx for the lie :) ya I think i should write some about any good aspects i hae and yes the phrase you mentioned is a typo

      Delete
  2. YOU SOUND HORRIBLE!!! I WOULD NEVER WANT TO BE YOUR ROOMMATE!AHHHHHHH
    no really, I'm being serious!
    It would have been much better if you told us how a fun, jolly, responsible, generous kind of person you are, instead of telling us how you are robotic, stressed up with responsibility and strict with rules.
    maybe you can tell us that you are a patient person that can listen to all the confessions and problems of your roommate or that you are a person who can keep one's secret to the grave!
    that will really be fine!
    besides that, your essay was focused, and captured my interest really easily
    good job on your essay!! now I guess I should work on my own:)
    byes

    -Eun Kyung

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel sorry for Wooseong ;P you make a really good point, Eunkyung...this essay is very well written but it doesn't show half of Hyuck's sweet, kind side :D

      Delete
    2. thx eunkyung, i'm dying to see your essay too :) anyway thx for the comments and ya, like esther wrote, I think I should've wrote some of my good parts also (although i'm not so fond with the idea of boasting about myself)

      Delete
    3. its not boasting~ its just being truthful!!

      Delete
  3. Hey, just dropped by. Cool letter. :P But I'm dying to know why you're called "potato" (or maybe you intended to sound mysterious). Even though the way the words are placed it makes you sound really strict, I think the rules are exactly my style. People who borrow money with no intention of repaying it, or who intrude into personal space aren't people you want to associate with. Speaking of personal space, it's okay for me to comment here... right? ;) Anyway, the way you reassured your future roomy in the last paragraph just sort of made up for all your previous strictness. I would want to be your roomy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thx for your comments, and 'potato' is kind of a nickname of mine that i got from a game in our school :P

      Delete
    2. 감자
      감자에 감자
      ㅋㅋㅋ
      good times, Hyuck...

      Delete