Monday, February 25, 2013

2nd Poetry Assignment: Hyuck Choi


The Pain of our Family

7am
A new day starts with the chirping of my pet parrot, LTE Optimus
Who is my only connection with my family elsewhere
Who is silenced with a touch

9am
The chemistry teacher acidizes my mind,
Pouring out oil-like facts,
Me absorbing the facts like an oil cleanup ship
Collecting them inside, unable to be used

1pm
My stomach is purring for the meat,
Then disgusted with the leftover
That will return to Gaia,
Only to find an unpleasant mother

2pm
I return to my robotic lectures
And think how I have been ignoring my ties with my family for days

5pm
I am walking back to my cement building,
Wandering in the ancient mother’s skin,
Wondering how much of her hair must have been cut
To build my home

7pm
I talk with my family through my pet
Not seeing its tiny waves that carries my voice
That carries my mother’s voice
That carries my father’s voice,
That carries my sister’s voice,
That carries bombs against insects.

11pm
The free imprisonment of studying is over
And I go the mini-mart full of food.
Full of trees obliterated into millions of sheets
Full of transparent harms
that take thousands of years to become a part of Earth

1am
Time to say good night to the stars that cannot be seen
To my family in our house
But it will never be a good night for the family
The family that was born before my family was born
Lying in bed
Asking for some medicine,
Who is silenced by their own children.

3 comments:

  1. that was just soooo beautiful and creative...I loved it loved it loved it. (being 100% sincere!!!) here are the parts I looooved in your poem:

    1. the "chirping of your pet parrot" was nice imagery
    2. the reference to Gaia
    3. the cool, innovative way you arranged your stanzas with time
    4. ancient mother's skin...that was creepy but cool

    there were just a few parts I couldn't understand and I'd love to hear your explanations >.<

    1. what's with the ancient mother's skin and the reference to cut hair?! o_O what kind of symbol does it contain?
    2. what's the "family that was born before my family was born"??
    3. was there any special inspiration...or what message were you trying to convey with this poem?

    anyway, great great great poem *.* definitely going to see this published if scriptura ever compiles a book!! keep up the good work hyuck>.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment and to answer your question,
      1. skin is just the ground, because Gaia was a reference to the Earth and the hair is a metaphor for trees, kind of thought of that cuz we all cut our hair and people have hair on their legs, head, etc but there are still a few places where there aren't.

      2. the first famliy mentioned in that phrase is "Nature" because since ancient times, people called the Earth 'mother' and the sky 'father" and the second family is...well literally my family (my mom, dad, sister)

      3. My message (although i know it was very unclear, didn't really have the time to make a proofread my in-the-bus made poem) was about the environment, kind of showing my everyday life along with all the non-eco things that happen along with it. I also inserted some tellings about my family because first, the subject does have to be about family. Second, I wanted to show how although the human race might be silencing our ancient family, in the end, like me and my family, will become connected again...or at least i hope

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, this poem is just AMAZING. It's like, if my poem was 3 cms deep, this is 10 meters deep! If I hadn't read the answers to Esther's questions, I wouldn't have been able to understand all of it with my tiny brain. :P But I did get the nature thing, which was very interesting (it made me think more about the things I just looked at and passed by thoughtlessly around me that were harming our environment). Also, I loved the parrot, too - I thought it went well with the nature theme. All the metaphors were really good! I wish I could read more of your poems... -Lydia

    ReplyDelete